Yosemite National Park has issued a health alert for some visitors who stayed in the park from mid-June through the end of August.
An outbreak of hantavirus, spread mainly by the urine and feces of infected deer mice, has killed at least two people and possibly sickened an unknown number of other campers.
Those who possibly could be affected by the outbreak stayed in "Signature Tent Cabins" in Yosemite National Park's Curry Village during that time period. The park is contacting 1,700 past visitors who may have been exposed to the disease.
If you think you may have been exposed, you should see your doctor immediately.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , the hantavirus illness is deadly in 38 percent of patients.
People infected with hantavirus typically show symptoms one to five weeks after exposure.
Early symptoms often include:
Late symptoms can include:
- shortness of breath (lungs fill with fluid)